Volunteers can donate time to a variety of programs and departments at the hospital, and work in a variety of roles ranging from patient and family support to clerical work.
Not able to help in the hospital? There are still other ways individuals, groups and children can help support patients through volunteer service to Wolfson Children’s.
Our volunteers donate time to a variety of programs and departments at the hospital, and work in a variety of roles ranging from patient and family support to clerical work.
Wolfson Children's Auxiliary
To join the Wolfson Children's Auxiliary volunteer team, fill out the Auxiliary membership application and follow the instructions for submission.
- We’re looking for people who are willing to help with whatever is needed.
- Placement of volunteers is based on our needs and on abilities and availability of volunteer.
- Our need for volunteers fluctuates seasonally so we are not always able to accept applications.
Requirements for Auxiliary Volunteers:
Must be a high school graduate or equivalent, at least 18, and able to join the Wolfson Children’s Hospital Auxiliary and abide by its policies.
Must be able to make a 12 month commitment. Shifts are 3-4 hours and are typically weekday mornings or afternoons. Must be able to commit to a shift on the same day and time everyweek, and able to attend annual volunteer training.
Annual tuberculosis (TB) skin test and seasonal flu vaccination is required and provided at no cost to volunteers.
Other Ways to Help
Not able to help in the hospital? There are still other ways individuals, groups and children can help support patients through volunteer service to Wolfson Children's.
You can make a patient’s and family’s stay at the hospital more comfortable by putting together toiletry kits. Please provide travel sizes only, including shampoo and conditioner, dry shampoo, spray conditioner, body wash, deodorant, hair brush, lotion, razor and shaving cream, tooth brush and tooth paste, and feminine care products.
This project is a simple activity for an individual or inter-generational service group that will provide a large amount of comfort to patient and families. No-sew fleece kits are sold at craft stores or other DIY instructions can be found on Pinterest or YouTube. We try to provide every hospitalized child a fleece blanket.
Being hospitalized isn’t fun, but a visit from the Wolfie Wagon, our store on wheels, can be a bright spot for kids. Your group can decorate and fill small piggy banks each with $5 in change. We distribute them to children staying in the hospital so they can make a purchase. Vendors such as Oriental Trading Company carry various types of banks. Money raised from the Wolfie Wagon comes directly back the Auxiliary to help fund children’s projects.
Fill baggies with ready-to-make crafts (please include the supplies and directions) and fun things to do, such as coloring books, crayons, scissors, word search, maze and puzzle books, colored pencils, glue sticks, paint, etc.
Trained volunteers and their dogs bring joy to children of all ages.
A gift of toys, games, clothing, personal items and morecan make a big difference to children and families spending time in the hospital and are accepted all year.
Donation drop offs may be coordinated through the office or left at the desk in the children’s admitting area on the first floor. Please write WCH Auxiliary on the outside of the box or bag along with the donation form. View wish list of needed items here.
- Toys must be brand new and not gift wrapped
- No toys with violent themes
- Donations may not be religious in nature or content
- Latex balloons are not allowed
- Stickers are not accepted
- Handmade cards are not accepted
- Stuffed animals are needed year round for ages newborn-21
Auxiliary Wish List
only new items will be accepted
- Wubbanub Pacifier
- Musical toys
- Infant mirrors
- Rattles/teething rings
- Dr. Brown Preemie Bottles with size 0 nipples
- Stuffed animals with embroidered eyes
- Cars and trucks
- Duplo blocks
- Light-up toys
- Stuffed animals (medium size)
- Coloring books with crayons
- Craft kits
- Magna Doodle
- Uno cards and card games
- Lego sets
- Hot Wheels/trucks
- Barbie dolls (culturally diverse)
- Baby dolls (culturally diverse)
- Board games (Connect Four, Trouble, Chutes and Ladders, Candyland)
- Stuffed animals (larger in size)
- Sports bras
- Teen magazines
- Adult coloring books with colored pencils
- Nail polish
- Make up
- Age appropriate craft kits
- Head phones
- Card games/board games for teenagers
- Lego kits for teenagers
- Fleece blankets
- Plain t-shirts (child & adult sizes)
- Gym shorts for boys
- Leggings for girls
Media Center Performances
Entertainment, such as magic shows, musical performances and more, are a welcome distraction to patients and families undergoing treatment. Performances take place in our Walmart Sam’s Club Media Center, allowing them to be broadcast into patient rooms for those who can’t attend. If you’re interested in performing, please review these guidelines:
- All performances must be screened and approved in advance and scheduled through the Child Life department by submitting the Application for Media Center Entertainers. Allow 4 weeks for application screening and booking.
- Visits are scheduled Monday - Friday at 11 am or 2 pm.
- No patient room visits are permitted for privacy, infection control and general safety reasons.
The best activities for our patients are:
- Highly entertaining and invite participation
- Appropriate for many ages
- Physically and emotionally safe
- Religiously and politically neutral
- Performance theme should be child-friendly
- Previous successful experience entertaining children is essential. Please submit a short video with your application for screening purposes (cell phone videos are acceptable).
- All visitors must be at least 16 years old and in good health. Anyone who is not feeling well, has a fever, cough, cold, etc. should not visit. Additional restrictions may be in place during flu season, which is typically November through April.
- The size of the group should be six people or less.
- Performances should last 30-45 minutes.
- Come prepared with everything needed for the visit. All materials and props used must be safe and approved by Child Life in advance of the visit.